Friday, August 16, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I haven't read the book. 

I'm sad I didn't read it before seeing the movie. 

It's okay, I've just ordered it, so it's on it's way with 3 other books. 

I never understood why people were always quoting that one line. If you've ever heard of the book, you'll know the one I mean. 

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." 

I didn't understand. 

But now I do. I've had those moments. They're the ones that don't even seem that important at the time but will stay with you forever. You will always remember how you felt and what the air smelled like and how wide your friends were smiling. 

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is about a boy his freshman year of high school. He doesn't have any friends and he was in the mental hospital for a while, I think. His best friend shot himself the spring before. 

So he makes friends with a group of seniors. 

I think I had more friends that were above me in grade than in my own, so I know how thy feels. To have all your friends so happy and excited to leave and you're stuck behind for a few more years. 

I wish I had read the book when I was still in high school. It seems like it would have been so important. It's still important, of course. It's just not happening to me anymore and when it was, I think I took it for granted that I was always going to have friends like that and life was always going to be just like high school. 

In some ways, it's so much better, in others it's worse. 

The good outweighs the bad. 

No comments: