Friday, January 14, 2011

Same Hair

I'm not allowed hairdye in the katimahaus in case anything gets stained.

Other than that, it's pretty fucking awesome here. As you can see from the photos I posted last time, it's fucking beautiful. Everyone is really, really great. We all get along really well.

We got our work positions on Tuesday, and went for the first time Wednesday.

My friend Simon and I work at an elementary school with the most charming and adorable children I could imagine. I definitely wasn't anything like that when I was their age.

I think Simon has a harder time than I do, because their french isn't as good as his, but he can't really speak all that much in English to them either. So... yeah.

We went to a "café" on lunch that was just up the street. It was horrible. It was supposed to be like... Louisiana food. Everything had meat in, and I guess I haven't mentioned, but I'm a vegetarian again. Being vegan is too annoying for everyone else here.

The man sitting at the table behind us was like some crazy retired trucker or something. I accidentally made eye contact with him, and he started talking at us... but we really couldn't understand what he was saying, so we were just like, UH... >_> and laughing so hard about it. It was terrible. I felt so bad, because Simon was facing him, so he just kept looking and talking at him while Simon was going like, "OMG, HELP. ME." and I couldn't really do anything.

After that, we found the café we'd meant to go to in the first place. They have even veggie burgers there! Much better.

The only downside right now is that I'm ill with a cold and we have to walk like half an hour to work through the snow, across town at like 8am. But the school and staff and kids are all really great, so it's worth it I guess.

Now I'll have solid references about working well with children so that I can be an au pair at some point.

Anyway, it's nearly eleven and I'm sick and rather exhausted, so I am going to bed.

I hope to get a cheap bike soon to ride to and from work.

No comments: