Monday, February 8, 2010

Fries Above!

Silly title from a silly tattoo (relax mom. it's not my tattoo). Whatever. So fish and chips always remind me of England and being 8 and having chocolate milk with them at the restaurant up the road. Unfortunately, I am an American vegan who hates seafood anyway. So today I'll be making french fries. I was going to make homefries, but onions and garlic don't go so well with vinegar and I really want the vinegar, so french fries it is. (I'm lazy and all I have is potatoes and noodles right now)

These are better than McDonalds fries, and they're definitely not the soggy fries I grew up with when my mum would make fries (sorry mum, but really, you didn't slice the potatoes thin enough). They're like super cheap restaurant fries from the comfort of your very own ghetto kitchen.

I'm not really one for measurements, to be honest. Measurements are for baking. Eyeballing-it is for cooking. And this is for cooking. So no measurements for you. Sorry.

I'll give you a list of things you need though.

Trusty frying pan <3
Potatoes
Knife
Cutting surface
Salt (fine grained is best)
Oil (whatever kind you have. this is ghetto cooking.)
Vinegar (if you want. i do.)

First thing you'll want to do is wash and then cut up your potatoes into kind of fry shapes. You can peel the skins off if you want, but I've left them on since I'm lazy and don't have a potato peeler.

I always kind of freak out about the oil burning off too quickly which is why I cut my potatoes before I turned on my awesome hotplate. Stoves work too... yeah. So put some oil in your frying pan and heat it up a bit before adding the potato slices. Use whatever setting you want. I always do. If things aren't cooking fast enough, just turn it up, of if things are starting to burn, turn it down. Common sense and observation really.

I like to salt things while they cook. You can if you wish, or not. Just wait until the fries get nice and crispy, drain them out of the oil, and then you're done and they're ready to eat with ketchup and vinegar. Only. I don't have ketchup. Oh well. I never said this was going to be fancy.

Oh, and while I cook, I like to watch movies from my laptop on my fridge so that I'm always right where the food is so that it doesn't burn. Just a tip. Today I'm watching New Moon. Not because I enjoy Twitlight, but because KStew is hot.

No comments: