Thursday, June 23, 2011

Being Vegan

I have a love-hate relationship with my diet/lifestyle choices.

This mostly stems from my soy allergy/intolerance.

"Wait. What? You're vegan and don't eat soy? How do you live? I thought you all only ate like... tofu and stuff."

In fact, I hate soy. I avoid it like the plague. In teeny-tiny-dip-your-veggie-sushi-in-the-soy-sauce quantities, it's fine. But I'm not about to have some tofu scramble for breakfast, or have a glass of soy milk with my vegan cookies, or have some soy-"beef" chili. Mostly because if I did, my body would hate itself for the rest of the day. I would adore being able to have soy yogurt with my cereal for breakfast. Or some chocolate soy ice cream with peanut chunks in it. Yum, right? Yeah... except for the soy part.

It sucks enough being a. lazy and b. vegan when grocery shopping for something you can just easily pop into the microwave and then eat. Which is gross, actually, but also super quick when you're exhausted or starving, which is nice. Being vegan is limiting enough, but then you factor in the fact that I don't eat soy and that throws half the "healthy lifestyles" section of the grocery store out the window.

So yeah, it's limiting and kind of annoying when all I really want is some fake'in or ice cream sandwiches.
But that's enough of the hate.

Like I first said, it's a LOVE-hate relationship, not an "I hate being vegan so I'm going to stop now" relationship.

I adore being vegan. It's one of my favourite choices that I've made. Right up there with reading Harry Potter, watching Doctor Who, and going to the London Dungeon with my mum when I was 16. Talking of, another excellent decision was buying that horribly unflattering picture of us on that ride at the end... even though my mum DEFINITELY specifically instructed me that I was, under no circumstances whatsoever to purchase that particular print. Of course I did anyway, far too hilarious. I don't regret this at all, and I also do not regret the fact that I still have it... even though she told me to cut her out of it and get rid of it. Wouldn't dream of it. Pretty sure that was about 5 years ago. How time flies.

Anyway, this is supposed to be about how much I love being vegan. Because meat is gross, cheese is creepy, and who the fuck would drink another animal's bodily fluids. Like really. Ew.

Meat is murder and dairy is rape... and I'm pompous as fuck. At least I can admit it. So yes. I do kind of think I'm a little better than you because I don't eat things that had the ability to scream while being murdered for your consumption. But y'know. Whatever.

No comments: