Friday, November 12, 2010

Like A Ruler

I'm straight.

Not gay. Not bi. Not anything other than straight.

I get really annoyed when people assume that I'm anything other than heterosexual... because I'm not. I don't want people to think I'm gay or bi.

"Why? What's wrong with being gay or bi?"

Nothing. Nothing at all is wrong with being gay. So why does it matter? Because I don't like people thinking I'm anything that I'm not.

Try and call me German and see how pissy I get then.

I'm not German, I'm Austrian.
I'm not Mexican, I'm Spanish.
I'm not 'First Nations', I'm Native American.
I'm not Italian, nor Russian, nor Polish, nor Swedish...

I am what I am. There's nothing wrong with what I am not.
But it's so annoying for people to assume that I'm anything other than what I am.

It's annoying if you think my favourite colour is blue instead of black. Or if you think I play guitar instead of bass. Or that I ski rather than snowboard. I can't stand that people always assume that my parents are a straight couple, rather than lesbians who adopted me, could you be any more narrow minded? I hate that, upon mentioning I have two moms, people still ask "what about your dad" or "is one of them your step mom?" or "which one is your real mom?" ... they're BOTH my real mom. Ugh. Assumptions in general are annoying.

I'd rather people thought nothing of me at all until they either asked or I mentioned it.

I wish I were German and Swedish, and that I could ski as well as snowboard. I wish I knew how to play guitar as well as bass. I'd like to not be American. But I can't change what I am. So don't say I'm anything but what I am.

It's SO very irritating.

No comments: