Friday, August 19, 2011

Problems

Adam's Song is difficult. It's the best song, but it's also a huge fucking bummer because it's about suicide. So it can be your favourite song, but it's so hard to express this. You can't jam to it at a party. You can't sing it at karaoke. You can't put it on a mixtape for a cute person. You can't post lyrics of it anywhere without people wondering about your mental state.

It has such a good rhythm to it.

The other problem is that if they'd put any other lyrics to the same music, it wouldn't have been the same at all. It's haunting. It's beautiful. It's sad.

Sad things are beautiful, I think. It's true, what they say. Pain is beauty. Not in that you have to wear awful blistery heels to look gorgeous. But in that art generally comes from people in pain. Pictures of sad people are so much more interesting than pictures of happy people. Sad indie songs are always better than those pop songs about sex and drinking. I like pictures of funerals better than I like pictures of weddings. Happy is so simple. It isn't interesting. It doesn't have anywhere near the same depth and beauty that pain does.

I will admit to identifying with one line of Adam's Song, in particular. That being, "I couldn't wait till I got home to pass the time in my room alone". But this is because I am a hermit.

My favourite line is, without a doubt, and always has been, "remember the time that I spilled the cup of apple juice in the hall". I don't know why. It's just so picturesque.




Also. Really. How foxy is Tom Delonge?
He's not really, anymore, because now he's old and his face got fat.
But ohman, he was scrumptious when they did this video. Do want.

No comments: